We know that car accidents can be major life changing events with complex challenges related most importantly to your health but also related to your legal and insurance situation and possibly related to your transportation to work and to doctors.
At DeMaine Chiropractic we want to help you as much as possible with getting everything back to normal.
Our patients have told us that the following guidelines have helped them navigate the challenges of being a car accident victim and we want to share them with you.
Please contact us if we can be of any assistance:
IF YOU ARE INJURED:
1. Check yourself for injuries and secure them as best as you can. Go to ER if necessary.
2. Schedule an exam with a chiropractor within 24 hours of an accident, fall or injury. It often takes 24-72 hours to feel the effects of your injury. Consultation is free with one of our doctors.
3. Report an accident to the police and your own insurance company. If the injury occurred on someone else’s property, immediately notify the owner, landlord or manager of the property.
4. Consult with an attorney. Make sure you understand your rights. Most attorneys provide a free initial consultation. We can provide you with a list of experienced attorneys.
5. Call a skilled chiropractor who understands the unique injuries caused by auto accidents. DeMaine Chiropractic has been taking care of injured patients for over 15 years. With free consultation, there is no reason not to get checked after every injury.
6. Do not give statements about the accident to anyone other than the police.
7. Do not miss your scheduled chiropractic/medical appointments. Doing so may create the false impression that your injuries were not serious or that you weren’t serious about getting better. It may also appear that you made yourself worse by not adhering to the recommended treatment.
8. Do not sign any documents or cash any checks from the insurance company without consulting with an attorney. Many insurance companies will quickly try to get you to sign a release from further liability by offering a small amount of money (usually a few hundred dollars). Once a release is signed or check cashed, you can’t go back and ask for more, even if you’re still hurt or get worse (which may happen if your injuries are left untreated).
WHAT NOT TO DO:
Failure to seek treatment from a specialist after an accident. Each year, 10% of the population will be involved in an automobile accident. 20% of all accidents lead to SERIOUS and long-term injuries, yet 30% of those involved never seek treatment
Just taking pain medication and muscle relaxers to mask an injury. Pain is your body’s alarm bell telling you something is wrong. Masking pain with medication is like taking the batteries out of the smoke detector. You are turning off the alarm instead of putting out the fire.
Not correcting the cause of your pain. Drugs only mask your pain for a few hours. When they wear off, your symptoms return. In our clinics, we put 100% of our focus on correcting the problem that is causing your pain. This approach has helped to heal thousands of patients permanently.
Confusing what’s most urgent with what’s most important. So many people focus their entire lives on what’s urgent at the moment, instead of focusing on what’s most important. Make sure scheduling a consultation at one of our offices carries the utmost importance.
Procrastinating after an accident. Insurance companies may not view your injuries as serious or even related to the accident if you wait too long to consult a specialist, and they may not pay for your care.Why procrastinate if you are in pain? Consultation with the doctor is always at no charge and we can better assess your needs after speaking with you.
Not having MEDPAY on your personal auto insurance policy. MEDPAY will pay your medical bills even if you are at fault. For $30-$50 per YEAR you can have $2000 to $5000 coverage. Usage does not increase your premium. Call your insurance agent today to see if you have MEDPAY! NORTH CAROLINA – Not knowing that auto insurance usually pays for treatment without up-front fees! Our office will work with your attorney, insurance adjuster, or private insurance company, to avoid payment of services out of your pocket! SOUTH CAROLINA – Not knowing that you must have an attorney in order to acquire service without payment up-front.
Call for Appointment or Contact Us via E-mail